Falling Weight Deflectometer (FWD) surveys by JFTS provide a rapid and non-destructive assessment of ground surface condition.
FWD testing offers a cost effective and accurate assessment on the structural condition of highways, flexible hard standings and airport runways. The FWD applies a dynamic load to a pavement that simulates the loading from a wheel of a moving vehicle and the surface performance is measured and logged.
We perate one of the few heavy weight deflectometers in the UK, with a Grontmij / Carl Bro PRIMAX2500 HWD trailer mounted system. Capable of applying loads in the range of 7-250kN, our system is well placed to evaluate the structural behaviour of airport runways and taxiways that are subject to extremely heavy loads on a daily basis.
FWD layer stiffness surveys are used for the following purposes:
- To assess the relative contribution to pavement strength of bound and unbound materials
- To indicate with sufficient accuracy and weak areas that need replacing or may require further consideration
- To check the severity of cracks in hydraulically bound mixtures
- To assess the equivalent surface foundation modulus prior to the design of concrete overlay
- To determine the effective stiffness modulus of sawcut, cracked and seated concrete pavements