All crush barriers, handrails and perimeter walls require regular testing throughout their lifetime.
James Fisher Testing Services (JFTS) is an expert in the testing of pedestrian, crowd control and vehicle barriers to ensure compliance to performance and safety standards. At the point of installation and over their lifetime, strength testing of barriers will ensure required safety standards have been met.
Barriers play a crucial part in crowd control and safety at events and UK guidance states that crush barriers, handrails and perimeter walls are required to be tested annually. Car park and vehicle containment barriers also have to comply with standards to ensure they can withstand vehicle impact at specified speeds. Over time, barriers can weaken with use and impact. Failure to implement regular inspection and testing regime to identify weaknesses, may lead to catastrophic structural failure, damage to property, injury and loss of life, with potential corporate risk and criminal proceedings as a result.
Whether it's pedestrian and crowd control barriers or car park and vehicle containment barriers, JFTS offers testing and inspection services which are in strict accordance with the Home Office and Institution of Structural Engineers' procedures and accuracy requirements as well as the BSI's 'barriers in and about buildings code of practice.
Vehicle containment barriers also have to comply with stringent standards to ensure they can withstand vehicle impacts at speed.
All testing is conducted by our fully qualified and highly experienced testing teams, using sophisticated logging systems with electronic load measuring cells and high precision electronic dial gauges or draw string potentiometers to monitor deflection. We have facilities to apply line loading, point loading and UDL testing, as required for most pedestrian barrier assessments.
- Car park / vehicle containment barriers
- Crowd control barriers
- Crush barriers
- Forklift barriers
- Perimeter walls
- Seating decks
- Temporary edge protection systems
- Car parks
- Car parking decks
- Concert arenas
- Cricket grounds
- Football clubs
- Greyhound stadiums
- Ice rinks
- Multi-storey / Multi-tiered parking
- Race circuits
- Rugby clubs
- Shopping centres
- Sports stadiums
- Swimming pools
- Underground car parks
- Sports ground safety guide (Green guide)
- BS 6180:2011 (Barriers in and about buildings)
- National coverage
- Free initial advice from an experienced member of our team
- Testing conducted by fully qualified personnel
- Testing is carried out with minimal disruption leaving the barrier in its original state
- Barriers are tested both statically and dynamically to ensure compliance with the relevant codes
- The use of the very latest in proven technology testing equipment
- Load test facility for off-site assessment prior to installation
- Full in-depth testing and inspection report provided
- FE analysis can also be carried out to model barrier behaviour under different loads