- Hidden bridge defects | sub-structure solutions
- Bridge strike monitoring for London Underground
- Hidden defects | masonry arch bridge solutions
- Hidden bridge defects | Moveable bridge solutions
- Hidden bridge defects | Bearing and expansion joint solutions
- Hidden defects | Concrete bridge solutions
- Hidden defects | Metallic bridge applications 2
- Hidden defects | Metallic bridge applications 1
- Integrated offshore wind farm services
- JFTS completes crowd barrier testing for Premier League football club
- Dynamic load testing in Gabon, West Africa
- Ski jump foundation assessment in Eastern Turkey
- SIMBAT dynamic pile testing in St. Kitts
- Pile integrity and load testing in Trinidad and Tobago
- Thelwall viaduct monitored by Testconsult
- Specialist testing for the Thames Tideway Tunnel
- Delivering testing equipment and training in Serbia
- Structural investigation of Epsom College
- Pavement assessment for wind farm development in Scotland
- Dynamic pile testing for highways project in the Caribbean
- Crowd barrier testing for Irish rugby club
- USA scaffold compliance testing
- Testconsult undertake monitoring on Lunan Bridge
- Below ground corrosion assessment in Mineral Vody
- Transmission tower testing in Costa Rica
- Heavy weight deflectometer testing at Heathrow
- Dynamic load testing on hardwood piles
- New zone testing method used on Forth Crossing
- Foundation checks on Hungarian power lines
- Sonic logging at Crossrail
- Historical Buxton pump house tested
- Monitoring ship canal bridges
- Wind farm ground improvement verification
- Monitoring the Hammersmith flyover
- Sonic logging in Azerbaijan
- Plate load testing at Cammell Laird wind farm facility
- Concrete condition survey on Liverpool's waterfront
- Dynamic pile testing on Southend Pier
- Cyclic pile testing at Loughborough Grand Central railway
- Vibration monitoring on the M6 motorway
- Testconsult perform 1200Te static load test in Azerbaijan
- Testconsult provide large scale shear box for Trondheim University
- Testconsult complete 440Te offshore pile load test in West Africa
- Pottery works refurbished in Stoke-on-Trent
- Sonic logging at Bodrum Airport, Turkey
- Bridge monitoring at Spaghetti Junction
James Fisher Testing Services holds a wealth of experience in managing hidden defects in bridge sub-structures.
Our applications can be used on a range of structural types and can help to extend the operational lifespan of a bridge while improving safety and informing ongoing maintenance strategies.
Find out more in the two mini case studies below, or contact us for bespoke advice.
Hidden defect: Settlement
Problem: Weetwood Bridge was suffering from leaning side walls.
Solution: The method to halt and arrest the movement involved excavation of fill from between walls and above the arch barrels; this was replaced with polystyrene fill and transverse ties were fitted. James Fisher Testing Services provided a movement and settlement monitoring system to measure any heave resulting from the removal of significant dead load.
Hidden defect: Scour
Problem: The bridge is located across an upland river which is subject to flash flooding and fast flowing water. Scour of the bridge foundations was a concern.
Solution: The risk of scour undermining the foundations had been mitigated by the construction of a concrete apron to channel the water away from the structure. However, this was being undermined by scouring action, indicating that there remained a risk of bridge foundation scour occurring. Sensors were installed in conjunction with a solar powered data logger to monitor inclination of the concrete apron and to provide a real time alert of possible scouring.